6.30.2011

International

Showing a local girl which countries we're all from

It kind of blows my mind that the French language is the only thing bridging the gap between myself and some of my classmates - we have to speak in a foreign language, that we aren't very good at, so we can communicate with each other.

It's unsettling (in a good way) to realize that I can't fall back on English because not everyone can speak it here. This, by the way, perfectly highlights North American ethnocentrism. And these Europeans, they can speak so many languages! My self-esteem cries as Psychology tells me that I've passed my critical period of language learning.

(Neuroplasticity, though. Swedish, next)

2 comments:

  1. I love this photo. I love that you froze the moment in time when we explained to the young lady where each of us came from (Canada, Brazil, the US, Australia).

    The museum, the lovely walk down to the town and the festival, 7CHF for an 8oz beer, 6CHF for 2 tiny spring rolls, laughing over a meal ruined by the actor pretending to be a dog and burying his face what was to be a classmate's dinner, learning how to curse in french, seeing that all was not perfect in paradise and that not everyone here has a grad degree and multiple languages under their belt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be so Canadienne when you get back =]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...