3.28.2012

Home is Not a Place

Over the years, I've been very blessed to call Vancouver my home, but I've also been fortunate to have lived in a few different places during my young life. This article so perfectly encapsulates what I feel: the constant craving for both stability and change, the niggling thoughts of displacement in the middle of the night and the extreme joy of sharing the world, one city at a time.
The chasm of distance between me and the place I left shouldn’t be remedied by a single plane ride or a simple phone call. It shouldn’t be that easy. For the pain that expanse has caused me, that trip should take a lifetime. 
Because making a home out of all the places I’ve lived has been simultaneously exhilarating and exhausting. Some days I delight in the fact that my soul is deposited in several pockets of the world. Other days it makes me feel empty. I wonder if I’ll ever be able to retrieve those parts of myself, or if they were meant to stay there, unbeknownst to all those who come after me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...