11.30.2011

Paris: Shop, Eat, Sleep

Shop
Shopping in Paris is pretty stellar. Way cheaper than Sweden (but most places are) with really interesting pieces and classic clothing. Unfortunately, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect camel cape, but I did manage to snag an awesome leather envelope-ish bag from the flea market (huzzah, bargaining en français) and a sweet moose-adorned wool poncho. I wasn't so sure about the latter but an old, stylish French lady came into the store, saw me debating, and told me I should get it and that it looks good on me! Who am I to debate the Parisian eye for style?
 I could talk for hours about the greatness that is Shakespeare and Company, an English bookstore across from the Notre Dame. Ah-mazing. Quick history: the first iteration of the store is famous because it was where those in the literary world stationed in Paris, writers like Hemingway, Fitzgerald and James Joyce, gathered to discuss writing and life and to share ideas with each other. The current store is now on Paris' Left Bank and it's still awesome. Messy shelves adorned with lots and lots of books - such a dream. The upstairs is a library, and it has a piano and a typewriter station. Coolest part is that one can actually stay the night inside the bookstore - the place is still open for struggling writers and the like to be housed for free in exchange for helping out at the store!! Turns out some of the display cases and sofas double as beds. Trop cool, indeed. By the way, this was a stealth photo, can you tell?

Eat
 Best. meal. ever. It was some sort of baked brie salad with a delicious dressing, topped with potato slices and roasted garlic. drool. I should also note that the Dad sitting beside us was wearing a Voldemort shirt!  Also, "I saw an avocado and thought it was a nacho!" Sometimes my mouth can't keep up with my brain.
One can imagine the endless croissants, pains au chocolats, and tartelettes we devoured. I think the record was 3 patisserie visits in half an hour. It was our last day and we were getting desperate. Also, we had the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted. So rich, and creamy, and slightly bitter. 
This section is full of superlatives - rightly earned. 

Sleep
We stayed in the business district, La Défense. It isn't in the city proper, but it was pretty easy to get to the places we wanted to go with the metro. Plus, we got lucky since it was Bastille Day (stat holiday) when we arrived so we could buy the passe jeune day pass for most of the days we were there. Cheap! 
Did I mention we stayed in a 4-star hotel, paying less than we would have at a hostel? Yeah, baby. One cannot over emphasis the wonders of your own bathroom.

Paris, the big sights: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...